PDA

View Full Version : Market rally sends brokerages on hiring binge

boiman
29-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Many securities companies are now in recruitment mode, with the market’s rebound in the last two months translating into higher demand for human resources.

This contrasts with a wave of lay-offs late last year when securities firms cut 20-30 percent of their workforce to reduce costs as trading collapsed in a bear market. The VN-Index, the country’s main stock index, slumped 66 percent last year to become Asia’s worst performer.

But now, many brokerages like Bao Minh Securities, Hoa Binh Securities and Horizon Securities say on Vietnamworks.com, the country’s largest online jobs website, they are looking to hire.

A Ho Chi Minh City broker, who wished not to be named, said he worked for a large securities firm last year but was laid off.

He found a new job in February at a smaller brokerage with a lower salary and he was satisfied.

“Now, other securities firms offer me higher-paid jobs but I do not care. I need a stable job, not a ‘temporary’ one.”

Le Dinh Ngoc, general director of Thang Long Securities, said ups and downs are normal in the stock market, but brokerages should keep their good staff in any situation.

Nguyen Van Dung, director of Tan Viet Securities, agreed, saying that brokerages should not have short-term human resources strategies – rushing to hire when the market rises and sacking a large number of them when it falls.

“The Vietnamese stock market is on a developing path, so human resources in this sector should be stable and qualified to serve the market and investors,” Le Dat Chi of the HCMC University of Economics said.